Re: [Fwd: Question: sshd_config: combinations of PasswordAuthentication and ChallengeResponseAuthentication]

"PasswordAuthentication" is a built-in method of using a password.
This is where the client gets the password from somewhere and
passes it to the server, along with the user name.

"ChallengeResponseAuthentication" is a method to tunnel the
authentication process.  The client opens the tty and gateways
it to the server's authentication process/library. This enforces an
interactive authentication scheme.

Using ChallengeResponseAuthentication is more secure, as it does
its best to not allow programmatic entering of the password.  You must
enter the password via a tty device.

With PasswordAuthentication, you can:
$ echo $PASSWORD | ssh $HOST "cat /etc/passwd"

With ChallengeResponseAuthentication you have to use a chat script
or expect.

I would suggest forgoing passwords and just using keys.  Unless your
requirement is to use both.

--
And, did Galoka think the Ulus were too ugly to save?
                                         -Centauri