Re: chroot and access to directory OTHER than user's home directory.....

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Jon Price <jonelwoodprice@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to allow multiple users (users connecting from different
> machines) access to a box so they can all drop (via sftp) files in a
> common drop area, say /Whatever/Drop.
> If I use OpenSSH with chroot and a single account "dropaccount", then
> all users can access that account via sftp given the appropriate setup
> (sshd_config, public keys and such).
> The /Whatever/Drop directory is owned by a different account name.
> That can't change.
>
> How can I allow these users to access the /Whatever/Drop directory?
>
> Thought maybe a symbolic link from the dropaccount's home directory
> over to /Whatever/Drop might work, but it doesn't (and maybe for good
> reason). But how can this be done?
>
> Also, I think the issue is the same even if there is just one user
> accessing the box this way, ie. the multiple users might just confuse
> things here. So could consider just a single user with these
> requirements.
>
> Thanks

Look into group access.  Make "dropaccount" have it's own group and
chgrp <specialgroup> /Whatever/Drop
chmod g+rwx /Whatever/Drop

Symbolic links just give an additional path name, not additional perms.

--
And, did Galoka think the Ulus were too ugly to save?
                                         -Centauri