ssh and banners

I have noticed that, beginning with the 5.1p1 release, ssh no longer
interprets ansi escape sequences embeded in the /etc/banner or /etc/issue
files.  Was this deliberate, perhaps due to some security issue, or is this a
bug that has crept into the code?  I can't find anything in the changelog that
would be related to this.

I have verified that the 5.0p1 release and earlier do indeed interpret the ansi
escape sequences properly.

--
Thomas K. Gamble
System/Network Administrator, Cyber Systems Security Officer