Re: Chrooted sftp setup accessible with psftp, but not sftp

Alex Jurkiewicz wrote:
Hi all,

I'm having problems with a chrooted sftp set up. I can connect with
the psftp program from the Putty toolkit, but not with the standard
sftp utility.
OpenSSH is the same on the client and server:
OpenSSH_5.1p1Debian-5ubuntu1, OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007

My server configuration is as follows:

sshd_config contains (among other things):

Those "other things" could well be the source of the problem, since Match works first-match per config directive.

[...]
Connecting with psftp works, here is the sshd log:
http://www.bluebottle.net.au/putty-sshd.txt
And the client log:
http://www.bluebottle.net.au/putty-psftp.txt

No, it has the same problem with sftp but falls back to using a shell, which works:

Opened channel for session
Primary command failed; attempting fallback
Started a shell/command

However, connecting with sftp(1) doesn't, see the two logs here:
http://www.bluebottle.net.au/sftp-sshd.txt
http://www.bluebottle.net.au/sftp-sftp.txt

I'm not quite sure why this isn't working, is sftp failing to send a
needed command?

No, your server config is probably broken:

subsystem request for sftp
subsystem: cannot stat /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server: No such file or directory

however since you've trimmed the server logs you've removed the parts that would have shown what Match did, so I have no idea what happened.

Please either post your entire config (or reduce your config to a subset that you are willing to post), repeat the test with that config (use sshd -f reduced_config if you don't use your real config) and show the entire log.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.