RSA_public_decrypt failed: error:0407006A:rsa routines:RSA_padding_check_PKCS1_type_1:block type is not 01

I am currently running Gentoo Prefix x86_64 on an OSX system. If I
attempt to any ssh server, whether or not I had previously logged in,
I get this output:

RSA_public_decrypt failed: error:0407006A:rsa
routines:RSA_padding_check_PKCS1_type_1:block type is not 01
key_verify failed for server_host_key

I am unsure what it means, and Googling has produced a lot of
technical terms I am not familiar with. I don't consider myself dumb,
just ignorant, so if anyone could help by pointing out in what
direction I should go, I would be very grateful.

I think it's worth mentioning that running the native OSX ssh tool
works just fine, and that I also tried both native ssh and Gentoo
Prefix ssh with my saved .ssh directory and an empty directory.

--
    Jacob

    "For then there will be great distress, unequaled
    from the beginning of the world until now — and never
    to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut
    short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the
    elect those days will be shortened."

    Are you ready?