From: Darren Tucker [mailto:dtucker@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:45 PM
To: rfransix@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: secureshell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: openssh make FAILS, any idea, here's the error text

Richard Francis wrote:
> Hi, this is on an aix v4.3 server. openssl and zlib installed fine,
> but i get a zlib error???  I'm using the previous versions due to the
> aix 4.3 matchup. Thanks in advance for correcting this...
[..]
> /usr/local/sbin/sshd -t -f /usr/local/etc/sshd_config Could not load
> program /usr/local/sbin/sshd Could not load library libz.a[shr.o]
> Error was: No such file or directory

Actually it built but it won't run.  It looks like you have a dynamic zlib
that's not in the standard library paths.  You need to specify a blibpath to
include the directory where zlib lives.

This is described in README.platform:

If you wish to use dynamic libraries that aren't in the normal system
locations (eg IBM's OpenSSL and zlib packages) then you will need to define
the environment variable blibpath before running configure, eg

blibpath=/lib:/usr/lib:/opt/freeware/lib ./configure \
   --with-ssl-dir=/opt/freeware --with-zlib=/opt/freeware

Also, 3.9p1 is quite old, you might want to use the current version (5.2p1).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.