"SIOCSIFNETMASK: Cannot assign requested address" when using -w

i'm using a source built version 5.1p1 under SLES 10 testing tunnel device forwarding. Everything is working perfectly, but for reasons unknown to me, I receive this msg whenever i bring up the connection:

emperor:~ # /opt/openssh-5.1p1/bin/ssh -S ./sshvpn-ctl -M -f -w 0:0 my-ssh-server-name true

SIOCSIFNETMASK: Cannot assign requested address

With -v it shows up in this snip:

debug1: sys_tun_open: tun0 mode 1 fd 4
debug1: channel 0: new [tun]
debug1: channel 1: new [client-session]
debug1: setting up multiplex master socket
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: Sending command: true
SIOCSIFNETMASK: Cannot assign requested address
debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 1 rtype exit-status reply 0
debug1: channel 1: free: client-session, nchannels 2

ssh happily connects to the remote end (running Debian's 4.3p2 openssh) and I can ifconfig the tunnel up and add routes and everything works as it should.

Anyone know what's causing the SIOCSIFNETMASK error?