Why UsePAM only works with password or challenge/response?

Hi,

Please Cc: me when replying, as I'm not subscribed.  Thanks.

In the sshd_config(5) manpage, one can find:

% UsePAM  Enables the Pluggable Authentication Module interface.  If set to
%         ``yes'' this will enable PAM authentication using
%         ChallengeResponseAuthentication and PasswordAuthentication in
%         addition to PAM account and session module processing for all
%         authentication types.
%
%         Because PAM challenge-response authentication usually serves an
%         equivalent role to password authentication, you should disable
%         either PasswordAuthentication or ChallengeResponseAuthentication.

I don't understand the logic of this.  I mean, I see PAM
authentification as a method in itself.  I don't understand why it needs
that either ChallengeResponseAuthentication or PasswordAuthentication
has to be enabled.  I think I miss something, a clarification would be
welcome!

For instance, I've tried the following configuration in pam.d/sshd with
OpenSSH 4.4:
% auth            required        pam_nologin.so  no_warn
% auth            required        pam_skey.so

In sshd_config(5):
% PasswordAuthentication no
% ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes
% UsePam yes

And I get the following prompt:
% jarjarbinks:tataz$ ssh ...
% Password [ otp-md5 98 pwnd1234 ]:	<- pam_skey
% otp-md5 98 pwnd1234
% S/Key Password:			<- OpenSSH

If I disable ChallengeResponseAuthentication, PAM isn't used anymore as
stated in the manpage.  Why?  How can I avoid getting only pam_skey's
prompt?

Thanks you.
Best regards,
--