Re: passwordless login with same user id across box

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 11:33:48PM +0530, Dilip M wrote:
>> I have 2 box. One running Redhat (OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb
>> 19 2003) and other Ubuntu(OpenSSH_4.6p1 Debian-5build1, OpenSSL
>> 0.9.8e 23 Feb 2007).
>>
>> I am trying to do password less login _from_ redhat _to_ ubuntu box.
>> It works for different user ID, but not for same user id.
>>
>> i.e If user_A@redhat ssh's to user_B@ubuntu, it works.
>>
>> But when, user_A@redhat ssh'd to user_A@ubuntu, it doesn't work.
>>
>> PS: Home directory is common across box. (NIS ID's)
>
> The common usernames are not an issue.  I have the same username on
> client and server most of the time.
>
> Based on your description, it sounds like you've ONLY tested user_A ->
> user_B, and user_A -> user_A.  So the point of failure is not "user
> names are the same", but rather, "user_A on the server".  Which leads
> me to suspect you have incorrect permissions (or an invalid key) in
> user_A's home directory.

Exactly. I had a 775 on $HOME. After changing it to 755, it works fine.

> I have some hints here:  http://wooledge.org/mywiki/SshKeys

Yes, the last line...says it :)

In many implementations, the presence of the group-write permission bit
on the /home directory would cause sshd to reject an authorized_keys
file in this user's .ssh directory. (There are some configuration
settings that can change that, but it's typically easier and better to
fix permissions on too-loose directories rather than removing SSH's
safety precautions.)

Thanks for sharing. It is useful :)

--
Dilip