OpenSSH 5.1p1 hanging on transfers

This is a weird problem: I have a very large file (backup for my
machine) that I'm trying to rsync over to a remote host. The file
transfers to a certain point and then just stops. I've tried the
transfer with SCP and it stops at the same point. Other similar files
(other incremental backup files) transfer fine, so it seems to be
specific to this one file. I've done a packet capture on the transfer
and when it occurs the receiving side simply stops responding to the TCP
packets and the sending side starts going into exponential backoff and
retransmission. This is 5.1p1 on both sides, although the sending side
is Ubuntu 8.10 and the receiving side is FC9. Does anyone have any
suggestions for tracking this issue down? The receiving machine isn't
mine, although I can probably get the admin there to help with debugging
sshd if that would locate the issue. I know this sounds silly but it
reminds me of the good old days of analog modems when someone would
accidentally send "+++" down the line and escape out the other side
(hope no one's reading this over a modem :) ).

Thanks,

Derek