Re: Keeping connections through switch to vpn

Hi Ben,

as Orlin already explained, you cannot keep the connection alive when changing your IP.

While using a VM may be a possible solution, it certainly is an overkill and eats up a lot of system resources.

I would recommend to take a look screen [1].
With screen, you can log on to your linux machine, and start all tasks there in a screen session. When you need to change your ip, detach the screen session on the remote server, disconnect from the server, change your ip, reconnect and reattach the screen session. That way, tasks executed on the linux server keep running even while you are disconnected from the linux machine, and you can pick up right where you left when reattaching the screen session.

All this is actually very simple, if you don't know it already, there's a lot of good tutorials about screen :-)

Cheers,

Malte

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

Orlin Gueorguiev schrieb:
Hi Ben,
the only possibility is for you to connect via ssh after connecting to the vpn. The problem lies that ssh uses tcp, which uses sockets: that means a local to the computer port is binded to an ip:port. Once the ip is changed, the socket cannot be used again, as in the case when using a vpn.

Cheers,
Orlin

На Monday 03 November 2008 16:41:30 Ben Kim написа:
Dear list,

I need to keep a ssh connection open from my windows PC to a linux
workstation for various tasks that can be done better in linux
environment.

But a couple times a day, from the same windows PC, I also need to remote
desktop into an off-site windows server, using cisco vpn.

My problem is that as soon as the vpn is connected, my IP changes, and I
lose the ssh connection (because this vpn client disallows "local LAN
access"). I cannot change the vpn client setting.

Is there a way to let the ssh connection survive the vpn connection?

Regards,

Ben Kim