Re: Disable SSH authentication

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Christian Grunfeld wrote:

> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:46:14 -0300
>
> quote=" . . so that we don't need to either provide user account . . "
>
> that is what chaoson said !

Personally, I interpreted that sentence of chaoson to mean "type in user
credentials".  My undestanding of the problem is that they need to run,
perhaps in unattended/scripted mode, some commands on the remote machine
without having to interactively enter any credetials (which passphraseless
ssh authentication would easily achieve, but perhaps chaoson did not
figure it out yet how it works).

> With rsh you must provide user and password on the remote host ! also
> like telnet !
>
> I remember to all of you that rsh or telnet are an input/output
> redirection of a console thru sockets ! !

You don't at all need to have a user account with telnet. As you said it's
an I/O redirection through sockets, so you can have written a perl script
or a C program (or anything really that can listen on sockets) that
listens on a sepcified port, and interprets commands send to it through a
telnet client connecting to that port.

(In fact we do something like that for hardware snapshot inventory of our
computers (like video card, disk size, etc), which does not require a user
account and is OK to transmit in clear. We map standart input commands to
a small subset of commands to query to hardware spec, and send it back.
For that you don't even need to have a telnet client, but can write your
own little shell that transmits and receives packets.)

-s

--
Serguei A. Mokhov            |  /~\    The ASCII
Computer Science Department  |  \ / Ribbon Campaign