Relocating ~/.ssh?

Is it possible to change where SSH looks for the .ssh directory? My
home directory is currently on a file server 10,000 miles (about 300ms
ping) away from me, and any operation involving the files in it takes
at least ten times longer than it normally does.

If I read the man pages correctly, I can use IdentityFile and
UserKnownHostsFile to relocate my keys and and known_hosts, but that
means ssh still has to read ~/.ssh/config. I could alias ssh to ssh -i
... -o UserKnownHostsFile=..., but that will only work for outgoing
connections--I also want my authorized_keys for incoming connections
moved.

I do not currently have the ability to modify /etc/ssh/*config (or
anything else in /etc), but that may change, so solutions not
requiring root are preferable, but root-only is welcome too if it's
the only way.

(I should note that I tried the most obvious solution, symlinking
.ssh, but it didn't work, presumably for security reasons.)
--
Aaron Davies
aaron.davies@xxxxxxxxx