RE: dispatch_protocol_error

Quoting Dewey Hylton <dewey@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > Quoting Spydr <spyderw3b@xxxxxxx>:
> >
> > > okay - let me provide link as a reference after I explain - type 5 is
> ssh1
> > > response to authentication attempt with a shared secret (SSH_AUTH_TIS)
> seq
> > 5
> > > means something is wrong with the user string
> > >
> > > http://mia.ece.uic.edu/cgi-bin/lxr/http/source/ssh1.h?v=openssh-3.5p1
> > >

> > > review the SSH1.h for additional types and seq responses. Typically,
> this
> > is
> > > a result of a miss configuration on the client. Looks like from the logs
> > > provide remote host got the public key for your machine, opened the
> > session
> > > to authenticate the user but the user string didn't match an authorized
> > > account

i found the culprit (it was my fault of course) and am sending this out for
documentation purposes just in case some other poor soul ends up in my shoes.

basically, i was looping through the keys available through my agent. the
problem occurred when i successfully authenticated - and then tried the next
agent key instead of exiting the loop. once a break was inserted at the correct
point in the loop, everything seemed to work just fine.