Re: Can't run whoami(id -un) inside chroot jail using openssh native jail support

2008/7/23, D M <dm.mlist@xxxxxxxxx>:

> OS: RHEL5.2
>  Openssh: 5.0p1 and now 5.1
>
>  I have successfully setup a chroot jail using openssh's new native
>  jail support and almost everything appears to be working
>  (ls,cd,cat,uname,etc,ect). However I can't run any commands that
>  identify the user.. such as ld -un whoami logname. They all fail with
>  this result:
>
>  #whoami
>  whoami: cannot find name for user ID 503
>  #id
>  uid=503 gid=504 groups=504
>  #id -un
>  id: cannot find name for user ID 503
>  503
>  #logname
>  503
>
>  i've made sure that /etc/passwd and even /etc/group are in the jail
>  with the proper permissions but still I get the same result.. Any
>  suggestions??

I wonder if you are missing NSS (/etc/nsswitch.conf) in your jailed
system? I would also check it with strace, like:

strace id -un

Although that would probably require setting up strace which might be
too expensive to set up in a jailed system.

Cheers,

VL

Regards,

VL