Re: Deliberately create slow SSH response?

On Jul 9, 2008, at 9:55 AM, Zembower, Kevin wrote:

This might seem like a strange question to ask, but is there a way to
deliberately create a slow response to an SSH request? I'm annoyed at
the large number of distributed SSH brute-force attacks on a server I
administer, trying to guess the password for 'root' and other accounts.
I think that my server is pretty secure; doesn't allow root to log in
through SSH, only a restricted number of accounts are allowed SSH
access, with I think pretty good passwords. But still, the attempts
annoy me.

I think the best place to do that is in PAM.  Here's a module:  http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~pjb1008/project/pam_delay/pam_delay/pam_delay.html

If you wanted to do more, you could even write a module that kept track of login attempts and progressively slowed them.

-b