De: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] En
nombre de Zembower, Kevin
Enviado el: Miércoles, 09 de Julio de 2008 11:56 a.m.
Para: secureshell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Asunto: Deliberately create slow SSH response?

This might seem like a strange question to ask, but is there a way to
deliberately create a slow response to an SSH request? I'm annoyed at the
large number of distributed SSH brute-force attacks on a server I
administer, trying to guess the password for 'root' and other accounts.
I think that my server is pretty secure; doesn't allow root to log in
through SSH, only a restricted number of accounts are allowed SSH access,
with I think pretty good passwords. But still, the attempts annoy me.

I wouldn't mind if SSH took say 30 seconds to ask me for my password.
This would slow the attempts. Is there any way to configure OpenSSH to do
this? I searched the archives of this group with 'slow' and 'delay'
but didn't come up with anything on this topic. Please point it out to me if
I overlooked anything. In addition, I can limit the number of SSH
connections to 3-5 and still operate okay.

Ultimately, I need this solution for hosts running OpenSSH_3.9p1 under RHEL
ES 4 and OpenSSH_4.3p2 under Debian 'etch' 4.0 and Fedora Core 6.

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

-Kevin

Kevin Zembower
Internet Services Group manager
Center for Communication Programs