Re: OpenSSH 4.9p1 configure bug

Hello,
Can you expand a bit on what "OpenSSH 4.9p1" is? http://www.openssh.org/ states that 4.7[p1] is the latest version. Is this a pre-release/beta? Can you also please note what architecture your system kernel is for? Another helpful bit of information might be the more detailed information such as what arguments exactly gcc was called with, which should be in 'config.log' after the failure.
Thanks, Matt.

Darren Tucker wrote:
Brian McNally wrote:
The Makefile for OpenSSH 4.9p1 for Linux seems to be broken. It was this was on 4.8 as well. This is on RHEL 5.1.
[...]
So, it seems like gcc -V is getting called incorrectly, which causes problems later on.

I suspect the gcc -V thing is a red herring.

This looks like the problem:

configure:2207: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libc.so when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libc.a when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It appears that you compiler can't create executables with the flags you've supplied. Perhaps it's a 64-bit libraries vs 32-bit compiler thing? I dunno what RHEL does in this regard.

Can you compile a "hello world" program? Is the gcc in the path the one that you expect? ("CC=/usr/bin/gcc ./configure")?

--
/*
 * mdh - Solitox Networks (Lead Project Engineer)