Re: issue with transferring text files from windows to *INX using scp/sftp

Good morning Mike.

Each line of text files transferred from windows to
*INX using scp/sftp contains Control-M characters. It is a pain to run dos2unix utils when there are a
few hundred files.

I can definitely see that.

I did not experience issue when using ftp to transfer
files from windows to *INXs systems

ftp is a different animal.

Is there a switch or ssh_config configuration setting
to suppress the Crontrol-M during transfer ?

Not that I have been able to find (but I'm no sftp/scp guru). If you were going the other way *NIX to windows then it would be trivial to write a shell script to do all that for you. For example:

# just put all the files to send into the directory called 'tosend'
# and create another directory called 'sent' and be in in the
# directory right above the 2 tmp directories when you run
# the script

for file in `ls tosend`
   do
      [command-to-remove-cr-from-file] tosend/$file >$file.tmp
                        or
      [command-to-remove-cr-from-file] tosend/$file -o $file.tmp
      scp $file.tmp user@hostname:/path-to-directory/$file
      mv tosend/$file sent
      rm $file.tmp
   done

This is an inelegant script and I'm sure that the 'real' *NIX admins out there could do a better job (after they stop laughing), but you get the idea.

So, how does this help you running under windows? Well, there is a UNIX environment you can install from microsoft but I personally use Cygwin (cygwin.com). Just install that and you're away to the races.

Hope this helped.

Cheers.
begin:vcard
fn:Frank Bernhardt
n:Bernhardt;Frank
org:b.c.s.i.
adr:;;14 Halton Court;Markham;ON;L3P 6R3;Canada
email;internet:frank@xxxxxxx
title:President
tel;work:905-471-1691
tel;fax:905-471-3016