Re: SquirrelMail adds line feed character to attachments

Hi Paul,

I looked into this, and it turns out I was wrong in my conclusion that text files are not affected.

It now seems that when sending text files (but not other file types) SquirrelMail strips boths 0x0a and 0x0d 0x0a from the end of the file. When downloading files through SquirrelMail, it will add a 0x0a. So when I send a text file through SquirrelMail to myself that ended on a 0x0a, when I download it it will have the same size but the 0x0a has moved from the end to the start. If it ended on 0x0d 0x0a it will be one byte shorter and will also start with 0x0a.

When I send a pdf to myself through SquirrelMail (which also ends with 0x0a), the 0x0a at the end does not get removed. When downloading the attachment, a 0x0a does get added to the beginning. JPEG's end with 0xff 0xd9, and they get a 0x0a added to the beginning as well when downloading while they are send correctly.

So to summarize:
- the issue with downloading attachments now seems independent of file-type and whether the file ends on 0x0a, 0x0d 0x0a or something else.
- when sending an attachment something specific to text does seem to happen, and both 0x0a and 0x0d 0x0a get stripped from the end of the file.

Best, Stefan

On Mon, August 26, 2024 6:40 pm, Stefan G wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just noticed that SquirrelMail adds a line feed character to files when
> downloading attachments. This does not happen when sending attachments.
> The attachments are correctly stored on the server: for example in OSX
> Mail and iOS Mail there is no problem with the same attachments. The
> problem is browser-independent (tested on various OSX and Windows web
> browsers). The problem is also independent of the attachment type (except
> for plain text attachment, with the exception of plain text attachments.
> Since I don't use my webmail often I have no idea when the problem
> started; I think somewhere in the first half of this year. The problem
> occurs both with the newest version of SquirrelMail and an older version I
> tried from 2017, so it probably has to do with some sort of
> incompatibility of the code with newer versions of php.
>
> Software: Debian 11, Dovecot 2.3. 13, php 7.4, SquirrelMail 1.4. 23 SVN.
>
> Curious if anyone has an idea on how to fix this. It's driving me nuts :).

Sorry, also might be helpful to know if it's a \n or a \r\n  on the end

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team

-----