Re: email header in message body

On Thu, January 26, 2023 7:37 pm, rtc--- via squirrelmail-users wrote:
> Hello All,
> I am new here on the list but not new to SM. Using SM 1.4.4 with php5.4 on
> Win
> with Apache is working just fine.  Thought is time for a new install, did
> that
> and ran into one major problem. Working and looking into it for a few
> days,
> but can't solve the problem. Config test shows my current install and
> results.
> Webserver is Sambar with php running as/under cgi.IMAP server is Sambar.

There's a good chance the problem is to do with this IMAP server, for
which SquirrelMail has no default settings given it is shareware that
stopped development 15 years(!) ago.  There's every reason in the world
that you should run something more up to date.  You could enable the
"info" plugin and inspect how the server responds to some standard
commands.

>  SquirrelMail version:1.4.22 Config file version:1.4.0 Config file last
> modified:24 January 2023 19:41:26
>   Checking PHP configuration...
>      PHP version 5.6.40-0+deb8u12 OK.
>      Running as sambar(1002) / sambar(1002)
>      display_errors:
>      error_reporting: 22527
>      variables_order OK: GPCS.
>      PHP extensions OK. Dynamic loading is disabled.
>  Checking IMAP service....
>      IMAP server ready (* OK IMAP4 Server ready )
>      Capabilities: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 QUOTA IDLE X-MOVE X-EXPN
> AUTH=CRAM-MD5 STARTTLS
>
> My problem:
> email headers are shown in the message body, either in html or plain-text
> view.Sample from the Welcome message of this list:

> MAILING_LIST_MULTI,TVD_RCVD_IP,TVD_RCVD_IP4 shortcircuit=no
> autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no version=3.4.2 Received: from 216.105.38.7
> by
> mail.xxxxxxxxx.ca (SMTPD);         id s20230124100451.1798; Tue, 24 Jan
> 2023
> 10:04:51 Received: from [127.0.0.1] (helo=sfs-ml-2.v29.lw.sourceforge.com)
>     by sfs-ml-2.v29.lw.sourceforge.com with esmtp (Exim 4.95)
> (envelope-from )         id 1pKLmv-0000Dg-1p         for user@xxxxxxxxxxx;
>     Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:04:44 +0000 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type:
> text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Subject:
> Welcome to the "squirrelmail-users" mailing list From:
> squirrelmail-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To: user@xxxxxxxxxx
> the
> squirrelmail-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list! Thank you for
> joining
> the SquirrelMail community.    If you have a question, you should check if
> it's already answered in our documentation:
>
> ------
> And here are the php error messages when viewing:
>
> PHP Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in
> /home/sambar/sambar/vhosts/dev2/functions/mime.php on line 1594

There is at least one fix related to this in version 1.4.23-svn, which is
available to download and which I recommend.  However, it is questionable
whether this would solve the problem of headers being shown in the
message.

> PHP Warning: Creating default object from empty value in
> /home/sambar/sambar/vhosts/dev2/class/mime/Message.class.php on line 367

This is probably where SquirrelMail is choking on an unexpected
BODYSTRUCTURE response.  You can inspect it using the IMAP info plugin --
for example, I created a new folder called "test" and put a single message
in the folder.  In the "IMAP server information" (found under "Options") I
enabled the SELECT command and changed it to "SELECT test" and enabled a
new test (the first blank space) and filled in the command as "FETCH 1
(FLAGS BODYSTRUCTURE)" (since the single message in that folder is ID 1).
Your commands may differ depending on the folder structure and ID
assignment of your server... you'll have to look at the commands yourself,
though the URLs of the message view page will give you a good indication
of what they should be.

A typical response to that command will look like:

* 1 FETCH (FLAGS (\Seen) BODYSTRUCTURE (("text" "plain" ("charset"
"us-ascii") NIL NIL "quoted-printable" 2040 54 NIL NIL NIL NIL)("text"
"html" ("charset" "us-ascii") NIL NIL "quoted-printable" 9059 254 NIL NIL
NIL NIL) "alternative" ("boundary" "gpcjbbGTVCmBXtPBPDUX") NIL NIL NIL))

> I really would appreciate some help, as I had tried already 2 different
> installs 1.4.20, 1.4.21  and all have the same issue.

I'd recommend you stick with 1.4.23-svn

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team

> What else on information would be needed ?
> Where/what should I look for ?
>
> Emails created with the Zimbra client and received don't have this
> problem.
> Emails created by a shopping cart (shopify) don't show this problem.I can
> provide images if it is easier to understand. Images are better than
> words. :)
>
> My old WIN install mentioned at the beginning does not have this, no
> matter
> which email client was used.
> I really would like to get this fixed to be able to use SM with this new
> install. Thank you for reading this long post, as I wanted to give as much
> detail as possible.
>
> Hans

-----
squirrelmail-users mailing list