Re: Need a bit of help getting Squirrelmail running on Centos 8

Jay,

> 1. If the Apache Document Root is /www (current location), where should
> Squirrelmail be installed to be accessible?

It depends what URI you will use.  If you want it as the main content for
that host, e.g.,

https://example.com

Then it has to be installed in /www or /www can be a symlink to the
SquirrelMail source located elsewhere

If the URI would be something like this:

https://example.com/webmail

Then it has to be installed in (or symlinked to) /www/webmail

Of course, you can also do something like use the Apache Alias setting
instead of symlinks, etc. etc. etc.  The options are endless and none of
this is unique to SquirrelMail.

FWIW, SquirrelMail is often installed in /usr/share/squirrelmail and you
can just symlink to it

> 2. Instead of /www being document root, should I make it /var/www???
> Should it be something totally different?

It depends entirely on the way you design your system architecture.

> 3. If I do make /var/www (or the final answer for #2 above) document root,
> where (directory) should Squirrelmail reside?

See answer (1) and just prefix with /var

SquirrelMail nor any other web content does not demand one document root
over another.  You should design and organize your web collateral in a way
that makes sense to you and configure Apache accordingly.

> 4. Is access to Squirrelmail, regardless of location, effected by selinux?
>  To get Squirrelmail working, do most people turn selinux 'off'?

Don't turn off SELinux.  That's bad advice propagated for years by people
who can't take the time to learn how to configure its policies.  If you
don't place the files in a location that the OS understands as holding web
media, you may have to inspect the SELinux labels/attributes on your files
to make sure they are correct.  You *can* temporarily disable SELinux to
eliminate factors in your debugging, but it's just as easy to watch the
audit log for AVC violations instead.  Fix those and don't keep it
disabled.

> 5. Have I missed any important details that I need to know here???

Doesn't sound to me like you're watching your log files.  They tell you
everything you need to know.  After that, you're better off asking for
help in an Apache forum that probably will have more users with better
expertise to help you.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team

> Thanks for the answers.
>
> Jay
>

>> On Wed, June 17, 2020 12:32 am, Jay Hart wrote:
>>> Good evening,
>>>
>>> I have not able able to run the http:///ip-addr/src/configtest.php
>>> script,
>>> nor access Squirrelmail. Looking for suggestions on what I
>>> might have missed.
>>>
>>> I got squirrelmail installed in /usr/share/squirrelmail and
>>> 'configured'
>>> to work (using ./conf.pl). This setup below is about the same
>>> setup on my Centos 6 box. I'm thinking my issue is more Apache
>>> configuration related than Squirrelmail.
>>
>> This looks entirely like an Apache configuration problem.  Watch your
>> error *and* access logs and play with the URIs until you can find hints
>> as
>> to where it's going wrong.
>>
>> --
>> Paul Lesniewski
>> SquirrelMail Team
>> Please support Open Source Software by donating to SquirrelMail!
>> http://squirrelmail.org/donate_paul_lesniewski.php
>>

>> -----
>> squirrelmail-users mailing list
>> Posting guidelines: http://squirrelmail.org/postingguidelines