Large attachments in SM stall Firefox browser

CentOS-6.8
Squirrelmail-1.4.22 (SM)
Apache-2.2.15
PHP-5.3.3
Firefox-45.6.0 (FF)

I have a message with a large (8M) attachment.  When I attempt to open
this message in SM using Firefox then FF invariantly becomes
completely non-responsive and the CPU utilisation rate for the FF
process goes to 100% on a quad core x86_64 running CentOS.

Is there any way to fix this?

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada  L8E 3C3