Re: [SOLVED sort of] was Re: svn 14501 - TLS handshaking: SSL_accept() failed: error: ... alert unknown ca: SSL alert number 48

On 06/16/2015 05:20 PM, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
>>     For whatever reason, and for reasons I cannot explain, squirrelmail can
>> >no
>> >longer accept 'localhost' under 'Server Settings' (#2 in ./conf.pl) when
> SquirrelMail accepts any hostname it is given.  It's not a matter of
> what SquirrelMail can and cannot accept.  It's purely a configuration
> mismatch with your PHP and Dovecot SSL settings and the certificates
> you are using (and their CA).  There is no SquirrelMail "fix" for
> this.  If verify_peer is enabled, then you need to have your ducks in
> a row in terms of the things you've been seeing: CA needs to be known,
> CN needs to match, etc.

Well, yes and no, but it is a change (god knows I have no idea how long ago it
may have been, a decade?), but the recommended server setup when running
squirrelmail on the same host as the mailhost was to use 'localhost' as the
server name. This continued to work, even with certificates, until the
verify_peer default changed with php 5.6 for me.

I agree 100% with the ducks in the row logic, but the surprise was going from
working to non-working squirrelmail config due to the peer verification.

The crux of the issue being that for most, the finer points of certificate
authentication/peer verification, etc. are not daily topics of conversation. So
when these things change, there's more than a few minutes of refreshing required
to get on top of the issue again.

I can report that after stumbling though the exercise, squirrelmail is happily
gathering nuts again.

Great package. Keep up the great work!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.