Re: squirrelmail error message issue.

>> hi
>>
>> i am using dovecot for pop3 and imap along with qmail toaster
>>
>> i had recently changed over from a 32 bit system to a 64 bit system.
>>
>> i use squirrelmail.
>>
>> the issue i face is that when the user inserts an invalid password then
>> the
>> message he gets is connection dropped by imap server  (instead of invalid
>> userid or password)
>>
>> such a message confuses the user.
>>
>> my earlier 32 bit version used to give the correct message
>>
>> i am posting this issue here because i am not sure if this is
>> squirrelmail
>> issue or a dovecot issue.
>
> Probably a Dovecot issue.  The answer is in your logs.
>

> paul
>
> thanks for your reply
>
> i intentionaly put the wrong password and checked the dovecot log and the
> message i got was
>
> # tail -f /var/log/dovecot.log | grep "xxx@xxxxxxx"
> Nov 25 08:47:46 imap-login: Info: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts in
> 2 secs): user=<xxx@xxxxxxx>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1,
> secured, session=<xObTWqYIwgB/AAAB>
>
> but in the squirrelmail login page instead of the message "unknown user or
> password incorrect" i get the message
>
> ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
> Query: LOGOUT
>

> in my old server where it is working correctly dovecot logs shows the error
>
> Nov 25 14:46:12 imap-login: Info: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts):
> user=<"xxx@xxxxxxx">, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured
>> and squirrelmail gives the error : "unknown user or password incorrect"
> which is correct.
>
> is there any other place i need to check or some other config file (either
> squirrelmail or dovecot) that i need to modify
>
> could you kindly guide me

At the command line:

telnet localhost 143 (or whatever port your Dovecot server is listening on)
A LOGIN xxx@xxxxxxx wwwww
B LOGOUT

See what the IMAP response is to line A.  It is probably not giving a
valid response such as "NO login failed."  If it's giving a "BAD"
response, you need to fix your Dovecot settings.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team