lockout plugin configuration problems

Hi,
I'm using a squirrelmail 1.4.23SVN snapshot and having trouble with
the lockout plugin. I had it configured on a test system many months
ago, and I thought it was working properly, but now it's not.

There are no php errors in the logs, and my configtest.php looks okay.
Squirrelmail otherwise works fine. I'm not sure how to further debug
this, and really hoped someone could help. I've configured
locked_out.php with my own text, and it's never printed. I've also
installed and enabled the compatibility plugin. The
lockout_plugin_login_failure_ information.pref has old entries in it
where it once worked properly. squirrelmail_access_log has the failed
login entries, but there are no new entries in the
lockout_plugin_login_failure_information.pref file after trying and
failing to login $max_login_attempts times.

If I include the following in lockout_table.php, assuming my domain is
example.com and my webmail host is webstage.example.com, it locks
everyone out regardless of the number of tries.

domain:   example.com   locked_out.php

It also doesn't seem to be writing anything to
/var/lib/squirrelmail/data/lockout_plugin_login_failure_information.pref
even though it appears to rewrite the file every time an invalid
password is entered (with the domain: entry enabled). Assuming my test
user is "alex", there are never any entries written to the
lockout_plugin_login_failure file.

I've included my config.php below (using example.com)

$use_lockout_rules = 1;
$reverseLockout = '';
$at = '@';
$obey_x_forwarded_headers = 0;
$max_login_attempts = '6:10:30';
$max_login_attempts_per_IP = '';
$activate_CAPTCHA_after_failed_attempts = '';
$lockout_notification_addresses = 'gdadmin@xxxxxxxxxxx';
$log_violated_lockout_rules = 1;
$log_violated_max_user_logins = 1;
$log_violated_max_IP_logins = 0;