Re: Externally deleted mail still shows up in Inbox

On 31/07/2013 14:08, Fredrik Jervfors wrote:
> Your SquirrelMail is likely to be configured to expunge automatically when
> doing a delete. When you use SquirrelMail to move a mail to Trash it
> really creates a copy of the mail in Trash, then marks the original as
> "delete" and optionally (depending on configuration) expunges everything
> marked as "delete". The expunge configuration is done by the system
> administrator on the server ($auto_expunge in config/config.php or use the
> configuration tool's folder configuration).
>
> Your problem is that SquirrelMail and Thunderbird are configured
> differently. If you're the SquirrelMail administrator you can choose to
> reconfigure either SquirrelMail or Thunderbird, otherwise you have to
> reconfigure Thunderbird (which also happens to be my recommendation).
>
> I haven't used Thunderbird myself, but searching for "thunderbird expunge"
> gave me the impression that you can set mail.imap.expunge_after_delete to
> true using Thunderbird's Config Editor (Tools > Options > Advanced >
> General > Config Editor) and that it would solve your problem. I suggest
> you read the Thunderbird documentation for more details about this
> setting.

Great explanation, thanks for that! $auto_expunge is indeed set to true
in my SquirrelMail config and setting mail.imap.expunge_after_delete to
true fixes my issue!

Just for reference:

Mozilla states about this that it's up to the mail client to either show
or hide messages that are marked as deleted.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Deleting_messages_in_IMAP_accounts :

 >> It is perfectly appropriate for a deleted message in a IMAP account
 >> to be visible in webmail or other email clients. Deleting a message
 >> just sets a flag, and it's up to the GUI what it should do when
 >> there is a message with that flag set.

Cheers,
Geert