Squirrelmail hangs on read_body.php

Hi,

I have a strange problem on one of my servers.
We have a bunch of machines running Debian Lenny (I know, kinda old, already some are upgraded and
other are waiting for update). On all of them - SquirrelMail 1.4.13 (I know, old but... etc.).

On one of the servers, users have reported problems with larger emails. And, actually, by "larger" they
mean mails like 2-3MB which aren't anything special...
The problem appears when user wants to open the mail. SM waits and waits, and finally displays:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /usr/share/squirrelmail-1.4.13/functions/mime.php on line 1404

The line number changes randomly.
However, the problem seems to have something in common with mime decoding.
On other servers - with IDENTICAL configuration and hardware/software set - the mail body is displayed instantly.
I even compared the PHP settings - and these are identical too!
SquirrelMail directories differ only in config.php on lines with IMAP/SMTP server address...

I tried also downloading the latest Squirrelmail - the effect is absolutely the same.

While browsing through various forums I found only solutions referring to PHP timeouts while reading large
mailboxes with server_sort set to false, which is definitely not this case (btw, server_sort is set to true).

Any ideas? Clients on this server are getting so annoyed that I'm starting to worry ;)

Greetings,
--
Jacek Osiecki
josiecki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx