Blank message body on some replies

In a nutshell, when I reply to some messages, instead of getting quoted text
in the message body, I get nothing at all.

There are no errors, there are no indications in the logs that anything is
amiss; the body is simply blank.

One clue is that the few affected messages appear to be larger, but I cannot
find any knobs in squirrelmail or php that seem to affect how large a
message can be replied to.

I am open to any suggestions.