Re: Very slow logging in to SQ

Nick-14 wrote:

>     Hi All,
>            I'm running v1.4.20 on a Linux Rackspace cloud server and
>     am getting a 'major' slow down on login.  It takes anywhere from
>     6-25mins (on one occasion it took an hour) to open the mail when
>     I first log in.  I see that the Maildir has a lot of files (one
>     per message) in /new that I'm guessing have to be copied over to
>     the /cur directory when I login - and then all the mailboxes have
>     to be copied over too finishing with the 68 filter sorting - but
>     surely it shouldn't take 'that' much time.
>
>         I still have an older version (1.1.4) on a different server
>     that works as it should. It only uses one file for 'all' messages
>     each named for the individual mailbox but amounting to only 27
>     large files total (I believe that's called MBox) so I tried to
>     set the new server to do that, but it ignores the mbox settings
>     but it keeps creating these directories with loads of files.

Messages are not copied. They are moved from one directory to another.
Maildir subdirectories should be on same file system and file move is atomic
operation for single file system. If it is not, check which file system is
used for mail store and look for faster/better alternatives.

Make sure that your mailbox is not sorted in SquirrelMail. That way it does
not depend on IMAP sort extension and unsorted INBOX folder is actually
sorted by arrival time. Get folder settings plugin to use sorting only on
folders that need it.

If you use SquirrelMail filters plugin, set it to filter only new emails.

Make sure that server side sorting is enabled in your SquirrelMail setup, if
your IMAP server supports it.

If you use PHP as DSO module in Apache, make sure that APC extension is
enabled.

Used mailbox format depends on your IMAP server and in some cases on IMAP
server configuration. Check which IMAP server you are using. If you use
courier and not happy about maildir performance, get dovecot and setup it to
match courier namespace/folder structure. That way you can take advantage of
better caching and FTS plugin at the cost of increased disk usage.

Please note that Maildir format is actually faster than Mbox, if IMAP server
has decent mail header cache. If you delete emails in Mbox, IMAP server must
rebuild entire mail folder. If you delete mails in Maildir, it only deletes
one file.

--
Tomas