multiple SM sessions, single browser

((I know this is a bit of a known issue topic, but I've been poking
around for a bit and I haven't come across any discussion of whether
something can be done about it, either natively or with a plugin.  Sorry
if I'm just unlucky at keyword searching today.))

A user has two accounts on my server.  They want to have both accounts
open in different tabs or windows of their browser.  This doesn't work,
and the two SM sessions fight with each other a bit.  I believe it's
because both sessions are using the same cookie name to store the SM
session ID.  (We use the default SQMSESSID.)

Is there a known solution for this, other than using two different
browsers?  (This user happens to use Chrome, so if there were some
cookie-isolation feature of Chrome, that would help this user.  It would
be cleaner if there were a browser-independent solution at the SM or PHP
layer.)

I've just started poking around the session code in
functions/global.php.  Though I'm sure I can brute force something in
there with a patch, I'm not too clear on what horrible side-effects I
might trigger.  For example, I'm thinking about maybe making the cookie
name unique by some reliable encoding of the login id (user foo encodes
to SQMSESSID_asdfg, user bar encodes to SQMSESSID_qwerty).

Any thoughts?