getting the dreaded "you must be logged in to access this page"

We recently migrated from an RHEL 4 system to a new RHEL6.2 server running Squirrelmail 1.4.22 & php 5.3.3. Everything had been
running smoothly for a few weeks, but as of this morning we have a number of users reporting that after they successfully log in,
when they click on any links they get "ERROR: You must be logged in to access this page".

>From doing some digging I guess this is a problem people have run into before, but I couldn't find any solutions that worked for us.
I've tried disabling all of our plugins (listed below) without any effect. The problem appears to mostly be limited to chrome users,
but not all chrome users. It works fine in chrome on my system, but (with the same version of chrome), other users get this error.
Just got a report as I was typing this of two firefox user that are also affected.

It appears that the cookie named "key" is being set on login, but then as soon as a user clicks a link within squirrelmail this
cookie disappears.
For unaffected users, this key stays around until the session ends.

Installed plugins
    1. delete_move_next
    2. cookie_warning
    3. newmail
    4. squirrelspell
    5. squirrel_logger

SquirrelMail configtest

This script will try to check some aspects of your SquirrelMail configuration and point you to errors whereever it can find them.
You need to go run conf.pl in the config/ directory first before you run this script.

SquirrelMail version:	1.4.22-2.el6
Config file version:	1.4.0
Config file last modified:	09 March 2012 11:29:59
Checking PHP configuration...
    PHP version 5.3.3 OK.
    Running as N/A(N/A) / N/A(N/A)
    display_errors:
    error_reporting: 22527
    variables_order OK: GPCS.
    PHP extensions OK. Dynamic loading is disabled.
Checking paths...
    Data dir OK.
    Attachment dir OK.
    Plugins OK.
    Themes OK.
    Default language OK.
    Base URL detected as: https://warlock.simons-rock.edu/webmail/src (location base autodetected)
Checking outgoing mail service....
    sendmail OK
Checking IMAP service....
    IMAP server ready (* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot
ready.)
    Capabilities: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN
Checking internationalization (i18n) settings...
     gettext - Gettext functions are available. On some systems you must have appropriate system locales compiled.
     mbstring - Mbstring functions are available.
     recode - Recode functions are unavailable.
     iconv - Iconv functions are available.
     timezone - Webmail users can change their time zone settings.
Checking database functions...
    not using database functionality.
Congratulations, your SquirrelMail setup looks fine to me!

Brian Gold
System Administrator
Bard College at Simon's Rock