Re: Consquences of $lossy_encoding?

On 2012-02-09 19:38, Paul Lesniewski wrote:

> At some point in the next year, we'll start pushing harder to get all
> the SquirrelMail translations changed over to all utf-8.

That is a good thing! Recently I read someone stating, half-jokingly,
that there are only two kinds of character encodings left -- UTF-8 and
obsolete ones. I am warming to that idea myself, but it is not really
easy, of course.

> You of course can do so on your own ahead of time.

As I see, our german squirrelmail texts are already largely converted to
using html character entities, so they are charset independent, and we
can (with the next installation, after converting user data) switch to
UTF-8 generally. I also see that there are a few exception, perhaps from
later editing, but these can be fixed trivially, of course.

Allegedly they also contain a few text improvements, so it might be
useful to push them back into your direction some time anyway. Please
don't hesitate to remind me I said that when you need them. ;-)

Best regards,
Juergen.

--
Juergen Nickelsen <juergen.nickelsen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Freie Universitaet Berlin, Zentraleinrichtung fuer Datenverarbeitung