Re: Consquences of $lossy_encoding?

Juergen Nickelsen-3 wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> in the SquirrelMail installation I have inherited recently, we support
> English and German, both with the ISO 8859-1 charset. When replying to
> UTF8-encoded messages containing, for instane, german umlauts, there is
> the usual charset problem.
>
> I am preparing a new installation at the moment; with that one, I want
> to do everything with UTF-8 to fix this class of problems. Of course
> user settings, signatures, and addressbooks will have to be converted
> (and we will probably put them into a database, while we are at it), so
> this is not really a short-term solution.
>
> But I understand that "$lossy_encoding = true" will heal at least some
> of the problems, and that is what I would like to try with the currently
> productive installation.
>
> So, now my question is: are there any other consequences than the
> intended one I should be aware of when I set $lossy_encoding = true?

If you reply to email asking for 1 billion euros, your answer will quote
only 1 billion question marks.

If you reply to Cyrillic text, all text will be converted to ?.

lossy_encoding = true converts all symbols unsupported by translation
charset to question marks.

lossy encoding improves existing situation, if webmail users handle only
emails that contain texts in their native or similar language. For Germans
with iso-8859-1 main problems are smart quotes and euro symbol.

--
Tomas