Any way to reset display options

Hello. New here, and I haven't found anything in these forums on this topic,
but I may have been using the wrong search terms. Please don't hate me.

My parents have Squirrelmail set up through their website. My father made
the mistake of setting the display options to view 5000 emails per page and
this seems to have... "broken" the entire settings page; every time we try
to change this mail setting back, we get a low memory error:

Allowed memory size of 31457280 bytes exhausted at (null):0 (tried to
allocate 44 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

and afterwards, nothing in squirrelmail works at all: all links do nothing.
In Firefox, the browser starts to download the PHP pages associated with
Squirrelmail (dialogue: You have chosen to open Options.php. What should
firefox do with this file [save / open]). Clearly we have done something
wrong.

I followed one forum thread saying to change the memory limit in php.ini,
but this didn't seem to do anything. HOWEVER, the support page here:

http://squirrelmail.org/wiki/LowMemoryProblem

has a very different-looking php.ini page in their example than I see when I
open php.ini from the site's file manager. So I need to either do one of two
things:

Either I am looking at the wrong php.ini page. Are there usually two of
them? And is this usually something I access through the website's File
Magager, or should I be looking elsewere? (I found it in an "etc" folder in
the file manager directories) Like I said, I'm new at this, so that may be a
stupid question, but if there is another way to change the Memory_Limit
settings, I'm all ears (er... eyes?)

OR I need to somehow restore the default display options without using the
Options page within Squirrelmail. Is this possible? Is there a way to simply
reset all the options?

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you!