Error 503

Tonight I installed and setup SquirrelMail, as it was recommended by
my web hosting provider.  While trying to send an email, I am getting
the following error:
Message not sent. Server replied:

    Bad sequence of commands
    503 AUTH command used when not advertised

I have reviewed the documents on the SquirrelMail site, and have
searched Google, and have been unable to find this error directly
addressed.

The webserver is running PHP 4.4.9.  The web hosting provider is
1and1, if anyone has any experience with their servers.

Any knowledge on this error would be appreciated.

--
Stephen Orth