Re: Squirrelmail sending via disabled accounts

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Andrew Daviel <advax@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For some odd reason we had a couple of accounts that had no password, but
> had the shell set to /sbin/nologin on Linux. So you can't shell
> in.
>
> However, Squirrelmail can login using any random password. (leaving the
> password field empty does not work)
>
> Is this a known issue ? I suspect it's standard UW imapd behaviour plus
> stupidity on our part, rather than squirrelmail per se.

SquirrelMail merely looks to your IMAP server for user authentication.
 If you disabled some shell accounts but their IMAP access still
works, you need to consult your IMAP server's user authentication
mechanism to see why it is letting those users through (and, depending
on your outgoing SMTP/Sendmail setup, there may be a similar issue
there, too).  That is, this isn't a SquirrelMail issue.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team