SM v1.5.2svn - answering utf-8 encoded e-mail generates rubbish

Hello,
more and more ofter I'm receiving utf-8 encoded e-mail. As soon as
I try to answer one all german special characters are not converted
properly.
I've tried to find out why the conversion doesn't work properly but,
except a lot of postings describing the same effect, I found no ready
to use solution for that problem. I also read the information given on
this web page but I'm not sure how to interpret it:
http://squirrelmail.org/wiki/SupportedCharsets

Does this mean that the conversation mechanism will not work until
the german languages files of Squirrelmail have been converted to
utf-8?

On this page it's also written that the languages and the corresponding
charsets are defined in functions/i18n.php but this file is not used
anymore with SM v1.5.2svn. Does a replacement file exist for it?

I would appreciate if someone could describe how the mechanism works.

Thank you in advance!

Regards
Juergen
--