Re: Masteruser Login and users.pref File

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt
<Ralf.Hildebrandt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Paul Lesniewski <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 2:27 AM, Ralf Hildebrandt
>> <Ralf.Hildebrandt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Dovecot has a "masteruser" login feature, meaning an admin can log in
>> > as the user "loginname" using this username:
>> >
>> > loginname*masteruser
>> >
>> > This works really well, but SquirrelMail is using a preferences file
>> > called "loginname*masteruser.pref" instead of "loginname.pref"
>> >
>> > How can I work around this?
>>
>> Off the top of my head, you'd have to create a plugin that can
>> recognize that situation and override the preferences set being used.
>
> I wonder if vlogin should "Normalize" the username.
> Because right now it would allow a user to log-in using
>
> Ralf.Hildebrandt
> and
> hildeb
>
> and thus create two different sets of *.pref files.

Login Manager doesn't have any way to know that one of those is an
alias to the other.  It'd have to be aware of logic that is very
specific to your environment.  Off the top of my head I cannot
remember the related setting names, but IIRC, there are in fact a
couple settings in Login Manager that allow you to set up an alias
table so when you use something like "hildeb", it remaps and logs in
as "Ralf.Hildebrandt".  If that feature is flexible enough (supports
wildcards), you might be able to use it to solve the Dovecot master
user issue.  I'm not in the code at the moment, so I'm unsure of
whether or not this would require code changes.

>> Note that the Vadmin plugin includes a feature that lets you view the
>> preferences of other users, although that's not the same as using
>> them.  The Reset User Prefs plugin has a TODO item where preferences
>> sets could be exported/imported, but IIRC, that's still unimplemented.
>
> :(

If there is demand for such a feature, I could try to push it up
higher on my TODO list....

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team