Re: imapproxy with gmail

> Subject: Re: imapproxy with gmail

> >> So IMAP Proxy didn't start up. For questions about IMAP Proxy, please
> >> use the squirrelmail-imapproxy mailing list. But, since you already
> >> started an off-topic thread here... Read your log files for hints.
> >> The biggest hint will be to read the IMAP Proxy README.ssl file --
> >> compare it to your configuration settings and/or download and use the
> >> latest snapshot of IMAP Proxy version 1.2.8 from the downloads page.
> >> It will give you some more helpful messages when you try to start it
> >> with these settings.

> >> IMAP Proxy only does STARTTLS from a normal IMAP connection. Please
> >> read its documentation for more information.
> >

> > Thanks Paul,  I read the documentation and it looks like imapproxy does not
> > support   port 993 SSL connections (IMAPS)  only  STARTTLS on port 143.   So
> > that would mean it will not work with GMAIL IMAP.
>
> No, that's incorrect. For proof, telnet to imap.gmail.com port 143
> and type "A CAPABILITY". IMAP Proxy *does* work with Gmail.

Paul  when I telnet imap.gmail.com 143  I do not get any connection:

#telnet imap.gmail.com 143
Connecting To imap.gmail.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 143: Connect failed
I have tried this from two locations behind different firewalls and no luck on both.  I tested another imap server and I was able to connect.  This is what I based my conclusion that gmail Imap does not support STARTTLS.    Gmail seems to only support STARTTLS on its SMTP connection.

see also here from gmail help forums:

Top Contributor
2/15/10
No, they do not.  They only support STARTTLS for SMTP, and, I think, XMPP.  It is not supported for POP3 or IMAP.