Re: change_passwd-4.3beta7-1.2.8.tar.gz -- has stopped working.

>>> We didn't think 'step-5' applied to this FreeBSD machine as the
>>> 'INSTALL'
>>> file didn't specifically name it (FreeBSD), leaving us with no reason to
>>> think 'step-5' applied to our situation or issue; I thought we tested
>>> 'change_passwd' at least once.  However, I will try 'step-5' now.
>>
>> It says if the binary isn't working, recompilation is probably called
>> for... your situation definitely qualifies for that.
>>
>>> RESULTS:
>>> gcc -lcrypt -O -o chpasswd chpasswd.c
>>> chpasswd.c:33:19: error: crypt.h: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> A little googling leads us to believe that "the crypt() function is
>>> defined in unistd.h, not crypt.h".
>>
>> Either one might work.  Not sure.  What does "man crypt" tell you?
>> Did you search for those header file and actually look in them for
>> crypt?
>>
>>> I tried replacing #include <crypt.h>
>>> with #include <unistd.h>, remember we're not programmers; chpasswd
>>> continues to not function on FreeBSD-7.3.
>>
>> You have to give more details.
>
> find / -name 'crypt.h'
> /usr/src/lib/libcrypt/crypt.h
>
>>What is the compilation output?
> # gcc -lcrypt -O -o chpasswd chpasswd.c
> chpasswd.c:33:19: error: crypt.h: No such file or directory

Looks like you have crypt on your system.  You just need to find the
right combination of compilation arguments to get it to work.  Try
adding "-L/usr/src/lib/libcrypt" for starters. Or just adding
"-lcrypt" might work.  You'll have to play around and/or do some
searching.  Please report back if you get it to compile.

>>What happens when you run the binary from the command line?
>
> #  ./chpasswd <user> <correct.current.passwd> <new.passwd>
> RESULT: Current password is incorrect

How is this when you could not compile it?  I just looked and unistd.h
is already included, so if you replaced crypt.h with unistd.h, then
you have it twice.

> There is no doubt about the <correct.current.password>; I use that passwd
> everyday when logging into Squirrelmail.  As you can see (above) running
> the ./chpasswd from the cli shows (incorrect), however running the binary
> via SM > Options > change password, the results are printed in red that
> the password was successfully changed.

You said it gives an error (...contact administrator...).  Which is
it?  Please try to keep your output reports consistent with what
version of the binary/binaries you are using.

> Any attempts to reload or go to
> another page results in SM directing you to login.  At this point
> Attempting to login with what you think is the new.passwd; fails.
>

>>> Given this crypt.h issue,
>>
>> How do you know that is the case?  Supposedly you fixed that.
>
> I tried to fix it; didn't work.  What you see above is native/original;
> nothing edited, with the exception of removing the '^M' from the
> aforementioned file(s).

The native/original supposedly won't even run at all on your system,
and recompiling it fails with an error, so I'm not sure what you've
done now.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team