Re: Email account backups

> Please accept my sincere apology if I am going about asking these
> questions the wrong way!

Accepted.

> Our company has been liquidated and has only  a
> hand full of staff running services to our customers. My question is that
> we have a mail server, Squirrelmail with Virtual Exim.... I would like to
> know are there any documentation that could help me to backup all the user
> accounts? and how I could restore them in a case of total failure?

The actual mail accounts are not in SquirrelMail but in Exim, so you have
to read up on Exim to backup that.

SquirrelMail does keep some internal files though, such as configuration,
user preferences and user address books. Find the SquirrelMail
configuration directory (it's usually named "config/" but the path might
vary depending on how your SquirrelMail was installed) and grep like this:

grep "\(attachment\|data\)_dir" * | \
grep -v "\(conf.pl\|config_default.php\)"

This should give you a hint of where SquirrelMail keeps its files.
"data_dir" is the most important of the two, since "attachment_dir" is a
cache of attached files. Back up all SquirrelMail files, especially the
config directory and the files in the "data_dir" directory.

--
Fredrik Jervfors
The SquirrelMail Project