Re: Collapsable Folders broken with Dovecot IMAP server

Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:

> We have installed RedHat's RPM package squirrelmail-1.4.8-5.el5_4.10
> on a RedHat RHEL 5.5 server.  Squirrelmail connects to our mailbox server
> which also runs RHEL 5.5 and the dovecot-1.0.7-7.el5 IMAP server RPM
> package.
> The Dovecot IMAP server uses Sendmail as MTA and mailboxes in mbox format.
>
> Squirrelmail seems to be working fine, except for the collapsible
> subfolders.
> The user has enabled Options - Folder Preferences "Enable Collapsable
> Folders:
>   Yes".  However, in the left-hand Folders panel the subdirectories
> themselves
> are not shown at all (these are real filesystem subdirectories, not
> folders with
> subfolders).
>
> All of the subfolders in the subdirectories appear as one very long list
> of
> folders, and there are no + or - signs allowing to collapse the subfolders
> (actually, there are a handful of subdirectories which do in fact have +
> or -
> next to the first folder in the subdirectory).  The subdirectories are
> indented
> about 2 characters, so Squirrelmail seems to realize that they are
> subfolders.
>
> Our Squirrelmail config has been set to $imap_server_type='dovecot', but
> still
> it seems that Squirrelmail doesn't handle filesystem subdirectories on the
> Dovecot server correctly.  From my reading the documentation and the
> Changelog
> there doesn't appear to be any documented feature in Squirrelmail which
> corrects
> this broken behavior.
>
> The same issue was reported on this list on November 5, 2008:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=20353125.post%40talk.nabble.com&forum_name=squirrelmail-users
>
> Questions:
> 1. Does anyone know of a Squirrelmail config that fixes Collapsable
> Folders with
>     a Dovecot IMAP server ?
> 2. Is this really a bug in Squirrelmail, and how can it be fixed ?
>
> The Needed Details of our installation:
>
> # SquirrelMail version: RedHat's squirrelmail-1.4.8-5.el5_4.10
> # Every plugin installed: None
> # PHP version: RedHat's php-5.1.6-27.el5
> # Web server: RedHat's Apache httpd-2.2.3-43.el5
> # IMAP server: RedHat's dovecot-1.0.7-7.el5
> # SMTP server: RedHat's sendmail-8.13.8-8.el5
> # OS: RedHat RHEL 5.5 with all updates.
> # How your software was installed: RedHat's RPM package
> # Browsers tried: Firefox 3.6.4 on Linux, Internet Explorer 8.0
> # Any things that might make your install different: Not that I know of,
>    except that we use https:

Do you use default Dovecot namespace? In default dovecot namespace first
level folders are on same level as INBOX. You can't collapse all folders,
because they are not under INBOX.

Enable info plugin and run NAMESPACE command. You can type it in TEST_9
field. Show test results. Other tests (even preselected one) are not needed.
Or you could also show results of TEST_7 and TEST_8, if folder names don't
disclose private information. These commands are not destructive. They
should not change contents of your account.

Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:

> # Error Messages: In the Apache error log (probably not relevant):
> PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: charset_converted in
> /usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/mime.php on line 316, referer:
> https://xxx.fysik.dtu.dk/src/right_main.php
> [Mon Jul 19 13:43:01 2010] [error] [client 130.225.86.55] PHP Notice:
> Undefined
> variable: charset in /usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/mime.php on line
> 317,
> referer: https://xxx.fysik.dtu.dk/src/right_main.php

issue is fixed in newer RHEL and Fedora packages. Third party patch applied
by Redhat was broken. I suspect that Redhat packagers don't have plans to
release fixed package for your RHEL version.

--
Tomas