Re: Difference between On Read & On delivery Reports

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:29 AM, Binny Mandvia <binnym85@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,

Please only send plain text to this list.  Please review the mailing
list posting guidelines if you have any questions about how to post
here.

> I wanted to know difference between On Read & On delivery Reports. For me both the options work in
> same fashion. Ideally sender should be notified once mail is delivered in case of On Delivery Receipt,
> but the sender is notified only when receipient reads the mail.

You're right about the difference - on *delivery* versus on being
*read*.  Whether or not on-delivery receipts work is dependent upon
the mail server at the destination.  Some servers (not many) will
correctly send a delivery receipt, but some (most) will not, primarily
because it could be exploited by spammers and the like to scrape email
servers for user lists, etc.  Wikipedia probably has something about
them.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team