Re: Hacked installation?????

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Dave Johnson <davej@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a problem with someone that appears to have hacked our squirrelmail
> installation

Sorry for the delay - since your message contained a full spam
message, it got filtered into my (and probably everyone else's) spam
folder.

<spammy message headers and body content snipped>

> Any idea as to how to fix this problem

You didn't really show or say whether or not you'd analyzed and
determined that the message actually originated on your server, but
I'll assume you have determined that an account was in fact
compromised.  If so, you need to do your best to understand how/why it
was compromised (weak password?  phishing?  ...).  Change the password
for the account.  In the future, you should make sure you are using
all the security tools you can to prevent password guessing (Lockout
and/or CAPTCHA plugins) and to prevent attacks when they are happening
(Squirrel Logger and/or Restrict Senders plugins).

You should also be running up-to-date software.  Your version of
SquirrelMail is very old and if you continue to run out-of-date
software, you'll be inviting plenty of security hassles in the future.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team