Mac os X Server PHP

I am getting these errors when running configtest and I think it might be
the reason that some of the plug-ins that I installed are not working:

SquirrelMail configtest

This script will try to check some aspects of your SquirrelMail
configuration and point you to errors whereever it can find them. You need
to go run conf.pl in the config/ directory first before
you run this script.

            SquirrelMail version:
            1.4.20

            Config file version:
            1.4.0

            Config file last modified:
            15 May 2010 20:53:50

Checking PHP configuration...

    PHP version 4.3.10 OK.

    display_errors: 1

    error_reporting: 2039

    ERROR: Your
variables_order  setting seems to be empty.  Make sure it is undefined in
any PHP ini  files, .htaccess files, etc. and not specifically set to an
empty value  or SquirrelMail may not function correctly
    gpc_order OK: GPC.

    PHP extensions OK. Dynamic loading is enabled.

    ERROR: You have
enabled any one  of magic_quotes_runtime,
magic_quotes_gpc or magic_quotes_sybase  in your PHP
configuration. We recommend all those settings to be off.  SquirrelMail
may work with them on, but when experiencing stray  backslashes in your
mail or other strange behaviour, it may be advisable  to turn them
off.
Checking paths...

    Data dir OK.

    Attachment dir OK.

    Plugins OK.

    Themes OK.

    Default language OK.

    Base URL detected as:
http://mail.hotmallo.com/src  (location base autodetected)

Checking outgoing mail service....

    SMTP server OK (220 hotmallo.com
AppleMailServer 10.2.3.0  SMTP Server Ready)

Checking IMAP service....

    IMAP server ready (* OK hotmallo.com
IMAP4rev1  AppleMailServer 10.2.3.0 ready)

    Capabilities: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL
X-LIST X-8BIT

Checking internationalization (i18n) settings...

     gettext - Gettext functions are unavailable.
SquirrelMail will use  slower internal gettext functions.

     mbstring - Mbstring functions are unavailable.
Japanese translation  won't work.

     recode - Recode functions are unavailable.

     iconv - Iconv functions are unavailable.

     timezone - Webmail users can change their time
zone settings.

Checking database functions...

    not using database functionality.

Congratulations, your SquirrelMail setup looks fine to me!

Login now
I did compose this email message via SM and clicked on "Plain
Text" so it should not come via HTML.

I looked in "/etc/php.ini.default" and I am showing that
magic_quotes_runtime, magic_quotes_gpc or
magic_quotes_sybase are all OFF.

Also I can not get the variables_order to work as well.

Thank you!