Re: SM doesn't respect content-transfer-encoding for attached message/rfc822

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:47:16 +0100
Pierre Ossman <ossman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Conclusion:
>
> Based on this, I'm guessing that SM doesn't honour the
> content-transfer-encoding and just feeds the attachment as-is to the
> rfc822 parser.

Ok, I'm going to have to back pedal on this. I just found this in
rfc2045 (the MIME rfc):

   Certain Content-Transfer-Encoding values may only be used on certain
   media types.  In particular, it is EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN to use any
   encodings other than "7bit", "8bit", or "binary" with any composite
   media type, i.e. one that recursively includes other Content-Type
   fields.  Currently the only composite media types are "multipart" and
   "message".  All encodings that are desired for bodies of type
   multipart or message must be done at the innermost level, by encoding
   the actual body that needs to be encoded.

I'll take this up with my mail client developer.

Rgds
--
Pierre Ossman            OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
System Developer         Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00