Re: server used as spammer

KAM, please do not top post.  Please review the mailing list posting guidelines.

>> I am using squirrelmail 1.4.17
>> I have a user whose password was compromised in some way and the
>> squirrelmail
>> server started sending out spam  email every second or so. (using
>> sendmail).
>> I also got in the logs this warning -
>>  Authentication-Warning:  machinename: apache set sender to some name
>> using -f.
>>
>> Can you recommend a way to prevent a recurrence of this.

<snip>

> B) use  randomly generated passwords.  For example, this site came up
> from a quick Google search: http://www.thebitmill.com/tools/password.html

Or just enforce strong password rules in your password change backend.

> C) To allow the apache user to send emails using -f (essentially forging
> the name) without a warning, add this to your sendmail.mc and compile
> the cf.
>
> define(`confTRUSTED_USERS', `apache') dnl
>
> There is also a way to use a file called /etc/mail/trusted-users for
> example that can contain trusted users depending on your installation.

Or just turn off the ability of users to change their email address in
SquirrelMail.  However, I don't think the spammer would care too much
if they had to send directly from the compromised user's email
address.  Instead, I'd recommend getting some throttle controls
installed in your MTA, or if SquirrelMail is the only way to access
the account (no direct access to SMTP), then you can install the
Squirrel Logger plugin which warns you of this situation, or Restrict
Senders which can detect this activity and deactivate the account
immediately (automatically).  You should also have the Lockout and/or
CAPTCHA plugins installed if you think the password guess happened by
using the SquirrelMail login page.

Please search before asking -- these questions have come up numerous
times before.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team