FYI - dictionary attack on Squirrelmail

OK, not really a dictionary attack in the normal sense - the attackers knew the
usernames.

We just had an incident where someone tried guessing (I presume)
username=password against about 150 accounts via Squirrelmail over HTTP/SSL.

It so happened that someone had set up a couple of multi-user role accounts
with, yes, username=password, so that the attacker was able to send a bunch of
spam out on the weekend before we noticed.

In previous Squirrelmail attacks it seemed a user had fallen for a phish and
sent them a password, which the attackers leveraged to send more phish
messages. This time it looks like guessing.

A run of John the Ripper found a couple more u=p accounts which we disabled.

Carelessness on my part, I guess, and not thinking users could be so daft.
(well, OK, some years back we did have a public workstation with guest=guest
and remote login enabled)

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)