Re: New Mail Notice

byrnejb wrote:

> On Thu, January 28, 2010 02:26, Tomas Kuliavas wrote:
>>

>> Could you disable Collapsable Folders and set "Enable Unread Message
>> Notification" to "All Folders" in SquirrelMail folder preferences.
>> Then check message counts.
>>

> I did as requested and the new message counts adjusted to show the
> expected unread count (4).  I then turned everything back to the way
> it was, one switch at a time, and the count remained unchanged!
>
> I then went into the Newmail Options and realized that for this test
> I had enabled only 'Check all boxes, not just INBOX: on' and 'Show
> popup window on new mail: on'.   I then enabled 'Count only messages
> that are RECENT: on' and the count immediately changed from 4 to 33.
>
> The difficulty may be my understanding of what this option reports.
> I thought that it would act so as to exclude messages that are
> unseen but older than some (unknown) period of time.  What is its
> actual purpose?
>
> For now I am disabling the 'Count only messages that are RECENT:'
> option and the notice box gives me what i expect.  But, I would like
> to know just what that option is considering and reporting in the
> higher number that it gives.

I think I've asked to check unread message count displayed in left folder
listing. Not unread count displayed by newmail plugin. I wanted to make sure
that you haven't confused number of unread emails by not counting collapsed
folders or by relying only on newmail plugin count. Could you check how many
unread emails you have in all your subscribed folders and only then compare
it with unread count reported by newmail plugin.

NewMail plugin uses IMAP STATUS command to get RECENT/UNSEEN message counts.
It is possible that plugin reports recent count incorrectly when multiple
mailboxes are checked. Plugin uses IMAP commands that don't modify \Recent
flag. I suspect that if plugin is used to report recent messages, it should
do IMAP SELECT on checked mailbox or check message counts according to IMAP
RFC recommendations.

--
Tomas